How To Use Email Marketing To Increase Your Monthly Shopify Profits
I’ve recently been scouring the web for case studies and statistics on the effectiveness of different email marketing strategies for Shopify store profits. The one thing that stood out well above everything else is:
Abandoned Cart Recovery
Now obviously, this isn’t the only way to use email marketing to grow your monthly store sales and profits however, when research suggests that anywhere from 60-80% of ecommerce store carts are abandoned and the average abandoned cart email is over 50x more profitable than the average promotional email it’s hard to ignore the profit power here.
Image Source: soundest.com
On top of this, a series of 3 abandoned cart emails has been shown to generate up to 130% more orders than just a single abandoned cart email.
So, How Do You Send A Cart Recovery Email?
If your customers have provided their contact information and then left your store before payment Shopify automatically stores this for you as an abandoned checkout.
You can find this information from your Shopify admin >> Orders >> Abandoned checkouts
From here you can click on any order to open it & then you’ll have the option to manually send a cart recovery email that will include a link for your customers to go back to their cart and complete the purchase.
If you’re on any plan bigger than Basic Shopify you can setup your shop to automatically send a recovery email to every customer who leaves the checkout process before paying – unless one of the following occurs:
- The customer completes a purchase using a different cart
- There is a payment processing error
- You don’t ship to the customers location
- You don’t have the abandoned stock in inventory
- If the items are free (i.e the checkout value is $0 before shipping fees)
You can set this up from your Shopify admin >> Settings >> Checkout >> Order processing >> If the customer abandons their checkout
Here you can select the time to send the email and I suggest you follow the Shopify recommendations as their data suggest these provide the best rate of recovery.
You can also customise your email template here & I can’t recommend this enough! At the very least, you need to make sure that you:
- remind your customer what they have in their cart
- brand these emails so your customers recognise them
- make them personalised so that your customer doesn’t just feel like they’re getting an automated generic email and
- include a strong call to action that encourages the sale without being pushy.
Are There Other Options For Sending Email?
Yes. The shopify store has a 4-5 apps that provide an increased functionality to automated abandoned carts however, most of them are paid.
I personally believe that if you’re serious about using email to increase your store profits the you need to use a dedicated email autoresponder. MailChimp has had Shopify integration for several years and is a good option however, if you would benefit from having the ability to:
- automate email sequences based on customer behaviour
- track the sales specifically from email
- see exactly what every email subscriber is worth to you
- automatically calculate the average long term value of your customers
- send relevant promotional emails to different groups of people
then I suggest taking a look at MarketHero (this is the autoresponder that I use so I’m a bit biased toward it!)
Make sure you check out the video: “Increase E-Com Sales By 30%”.